Many new players are often confused by the fact that Epic games allow users to download Fornite for free, but also offers a paid game.
Fortnite Free vs. Paid:
The Battle Royale game is free. Battle Royale pits the player against 99 other players, in a fight to be the last one alive. It includes Creative Mode, where players design islands, and Party Royale, a fun place to hang out. Paid Fortnite is a team game. The aim is to defend forts from monsters (husks)
Read on to find out more about the free and paid Fortnite games and whether or not paying for Fortnite is worth it.
What’s The Difference Between Fortnite Paid And Free?
Ultimately, Battle Royale is free-to-play, and Save the World (an online co-operative adventure) is not. You will have to buy Save the World like any other paid game, even if you already have Fortnite installed.
The free part of Fortnite is the Battle Royale game and all the spin-off modes that come with it. With Fortnite free-to-play, you get:
- Battle Royale (including events): Battle Royale puts the player on an island, where they will have to defeat other players (PvP, or Player vs Player) to be the last man (or woman) standing
- Creative Mode: players can build forts and design islands, and then host games for their friends
- Party Royale: a fun-filled island created for players to hang out with their friends, racing boats, dancing, and much more.
- Tournaments: a competitive version of the Battle Royale game. Players rack up points for staying alive until the Top 50, 25, 10, and 5, or for winning a match. Participants move through tiers, until they gain access to live, professional tournament matches. Sometimes, there are real cash prizes.
- World Cup participation: much like Tournaments, the World Cup allows players to compete against the best Fortnite players in the world. The beginning of the World Cup is a similar point scheme as regular Tournaments.
- Spectating: players can watch matches their friends are playing from within their Fortnite accounts. Handy if you’re taking it in turns to play in a duo or squad, and don’t want to miss out.
None of the cosmetics, such as skins (the avatar or characters you play as, although there is a basic male and female skin for free) and gliders (parachutes to help you float down from the plane; although a basic glider is provided for free), are available for free, but there are occasional special events where you can gain items through completing challenges.
However, many of these are for Battle Pass holders only. The Battle Pass will cost you $7.99.
The paid version of Fortnite is Save the World, a PvE (Player versus Engine; you play against the computer) online-co-op defense game. It’s still fort-related, and you get to team up with your friends to, literally, save the world.
Save the World currently costs $39.99 for the standard edition and anything up to $59.99 for the deluxe edition.
Fortnite also offers V-Bucks, a cash shop currency used to buy the Battle Pass and cosmetic items. Any Battle Royale cosmetics can be used in Save the World except for certain types like gliders.
Is It Worth Paying For Fortnite?
For some, paying for cosmetics just isn’t worth it, but if you have some spare money and you really like Fortnite, then why not? Fortnite: Save the World is an excellent co-op game, and Epic Games run regular events for it, but it’s better to wait for it to be on sale.
What is Fortnite: Save the World?
Save the World is a cooperative tower defense (or fort defense) game. You can explore maps to stock up on supplies and fight husks (zombie-like creatures) to complete objectives.
As you progress through the game, the maps get more challenging, and new types of objectives open up. You can collect heroes (similar to skins in Battle Royale), and there is a crafting element.
Save the World is regularly updated with new items and special events. Once you’ve bought the game, you no longer need to spend a cent.
Can You Play Fortnite Without Buying Anything?
Yes, Battle Royale is completely free, and you don’t need to buy anything to play it.
You will have the exact same chances to compete (and potentially win), as everyone else, without spending a cent.
In terms of Save the World, you will have to buy it to play it. However, after the one-time purchase of the game, you won’t have to pay anything else.